Care for Life.
Florida Eye Specialists is one of the largest multi-specialty practices in Northeast Florida, with a complete system to help ensure you can see well for life. From simple eye exams to complex surgery using the very latest technology, it’s all here: ophthalmologists and optometrists—all under one roof—and ready to serve you.
In fact, we’ve been serving North Florida and South Georgia for more than 30 years. Today, we have 6 locations throughout North Florida. Our practice is owned and operated by Medical Doctor Ophthalmologists. And, we’re dedicated to leading the way with the latest advancements for helping people see clearly. For example, we were the first in the area with blade free laser cataract surgery. And we continue to lead the way, being the first in the Jacksonville Area with LenSx®, laser assisted cataract surgery.
Florida Eye Specialists represents a consortium of the largest and most respected ophthalmic practices in the Jacksonville area. By bringing in all the top doctors, top staff, top administrators we have built a company that strives for excellence in all aspects of modern eye care.
- Dr. Amit Chokshi joined Dr. Gerard Coluccelli in 2008 to bring laser vision correction and cataract care to Jacksonville. Chokshi Vision Center became one of the leading ophthalmic care clinics in Northern Florida.
- In 2009, Dr. Rajesh Shetty founded Florida Eye Specialists to become a leader in glaucoma care. In 2011, Dr. Kathryn Freidl joined after training at the prestigious Wills Eye Institute in Philadelphia. The practice expanded in 2012 to welcome Drs. David Kostick and Akbar Hasan, who bring a wealth of knowledge from their time as assistant professors at the Mayo Clinic.
- Dr. Ravi Patel opened Eagle Eyecare in 2009 (as a part of North Florida Surgeons) with a focus on cataract and cornea care. The practice quickly grew to become a destination for excellent ophthalmic care in the Riverside area.
- The merged Florida Eye Specialists (as a part of North Florida Surgeons) began in September of 2014, when Florida Eye Specialists; Chokshi Vision Center; and Eagle Eyecare merged their Jacksonville Ophthalmic practices. This merger made the group one of the largest in Northern Florida, and paved the way for future growth. Prior to the merge in 2012, they became involved at Southpoint Surgery Center in Jacksonville, Florida. At the time it was the only surgery center in Northern Florida to offer laser cataract surgery. This was a revolutionary concept that has been copied many times over.
- In 2014, the group expanded to an office in Ponte Vedra, Florida. In 2014, they also added Drs. Wassia Khaja Ahmed and Rachana Patel to help provide care.
- Florida Eye Specialists merged with Maida CustomVision in 2016. Together, Drs. Chokshi, Hasan, and Jerry Maida collaborate at a LASIK only practice. The addition of LASIK leader and well respected surgeon Dr. Maida solidifies Florida Eye Specialists as the leader in LASIK in the Jacksonville area.
Each merger brought unique perspective, accomplished doctors, and well trained staff. Below is a list of the “Legacy Practices” that have been merged together to form the current incarnation of Florida Eye Specialists.
- Florida Eye Specialists
- Gerard Coluccelli, MD
- Chokshi and Coluccelli Eye Institute
- Chokshi Vision Center
- Eagle Eyecare
- Maida CustomVision
This is how a vision practice should be – the latest technology, in the most experienced hands, guided by professionals who value their patients above all else. This is the future of vision care. This is Florida Eye Specialists.